Friday, May 29, 2009
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Suite is gearing up for its one-year anniversary bash on Friday and putting the final touches on a three-month remodeling job to freshen up the EpiCentre hotspot.
- Added new furniture inside and out.
- Installed new carpet and a fresh coat of paint.
- Added landscaping to the patio.
- Applied a faux stain to the patio, making the concrete appear more like wood.
- Added a woven metal wall treatment to the Hardwood Suite.
- Resurfaced the main bar and installed a lucite lighting scheme.
Friday, May 22, 2009
Over the past few months, NV Lounge has been going through some big changes: owners Paul Yates and Robert Shelton sold the Lake Norman nightclub in January to Eric Harwood and Suzette Richards of Southern California.
- Thursday night will be country night, hosted and DJed by WSOC's Big Sexy.
- Friday night will be 18 and up Fantasy Fridays with such theme nights as Tiki Parties and Four Season parties.
- Saturday will be 21 and up dance nights.
- And Sunday will be the club's Service Industry Night with Pub Pong tourneys.
Thursday, May 14, 2009
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Ballantyne got a much-needed addition to its nightlife scene last week with the opening of Cosmos Café – a sister location to the original uptown hot spot. Suburbanites who have been looking for an alternative to Ballantyne Village's Villa Antonio or the nearby On the Roxx, now have a new place to relax with a drink and enjoy a late-night meal.
The Scene: Cosmos owners Andy Kastanas and Gus Georgoulias are well known for raising the bar for uptown nightlife – and it seems they're aiming to do the same in Ballantyne. The new Cosmos' décor – the vision of Boris Tomic, who also designed the uptown location, Forum and Alley Cat – is striking.
For now, managers say, the focus will be on the food rather than the bar. Entrees such as steak au poivres and lobster crab cakes range in price from $17.95-$27.95. But lovers of the uptown location's extensive martini list won't be disappointed either – it's all intact here ($8-$12) and managers are hoping to start drink promotions soon.
The Crowd: Because of its suburban location, expect a mostly over-35 clientele. GM Ahmad Mohammad hopes it will be a nightlife destination for nearby residents who come for dinner and stay for drinks at the bar or outside on the patio.
The Music: A mix of house and pop music, with a DJ spinning Friday and Saturday nights.
The Details: Open until 2 a.m. six days a week (1 a.m. on Sundays). 8420 Rea Road. 704-544-5268. www.cosmoscafe.com.
Thursday, May 7, 2009
May 14 – Mick & the Ultras (Blues/Rock)
May 21 – Roadside Attraction (Rock-n-Roll)
May 28 – Ten Toes Up (Blues/Rock)
June 11 – Thirsty Horses (Rock/Covers)
June 18 – Truckstop Preachers (Honky-Tonk)
June 25 – Orange Crush (Alternative 80’s)
July 9 – Heywire (Rock/Americana/Funk)
July 16 – Thom Crumpton Trio (Blues)
July 23 – The Holdouts (Rock-n-Roll)
July 30 – Matt & Jon Acoustic Duo (Rock-n-Roll)
Aug. 13 – The New Relics (Pop/Country)
Aug. 20 – Thirsty Horses (Rock/Covers)
Aug. 27 – Orange Crush (Alternative 80’s)
Sept. 10 – Gael Warning (Rock/Folk)
Sept. 17 – Green Vegas
Sept. 24 –Alan & Dave
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Headlining this year's Food Lion Speed Street festival (May 21-23) uptown will be Clint Black, Gavin DeGraw, Lifehouse, Jason Aldean, Rodney Atkins and Bel Biv Devoe.
- Thursday, May 21: Jason Aldean at 9:30 p.m.
- Friday, May 22: Lifehouse at 9:15 p.m.
- Saturday, May 23: Gavin DeGraw at 9:30 p.m.
- Thursday: Bel Biv Devoe at 9 p.m.
- Friday: Rodney Atkins at 9:15 p.m.
- Saturday: Clint Black at 9:15 p.m.
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
In honor of Cinco de Mayo, I'm sharing an old Aarthun family recipe for margaritas. We call them magic because it only takes one to get that warm and fuzzy feeling -- they've helped get us through many a family reunion.
1. Fill half of shaker with ice
2. Pour 2 shots of Silver Patron Tequila into shaker
3. Pour 2 shots of Cointreau (citrus liqueur) into shaker
4. Finish off the shaker with Pre-mixed Lasco Lime Mix and Water (if you cannot find Lasco Lime Mix -- found in liquor supply stores -- use Bacardi Lime-aide frozen and add water). With both lime mixes you may want to add a bit of sugar or sweetener to take the bite of tartness out of the drink.
5. Salt the rim of drinking glasses (optional) with lime.
6. Add 1-2 pieces of lime to glasses.
7. Shake up and pour over ice.
- Soul Gastrolounge, the much-anticipated Plaza-Midwood hangout, officially opens to the public tomorrow at 5 p.m. The music- and food-focused lounge is the brainchild of Charlotte nightlife pioneer Andy Kastanas and James Fedele. Don't miss the views of uptown from the upstairs balcony.
- Cosmos Cafe (also part of the Kastanas brand) is opening a second location in Ballantyne tomorrow at 8420 Rea Road. I'm stopping in for its Friends & Family party tonight and will post a review tomorrow.
- Uptown's Therapy Cafe is set to reopen late this month after undergoing a significant expansion. I'll keep you updated on the grand reopening party details.
- Brazwell's on Montford Drive (aka the old Press Box) opened last week.
- If you've been to Alive After Five at EpiCentre, you've already seen the new open-air rooftop bar, Penthouse. The casual hangout, in conjunction with the Pavilion, will host such upcoming events as Martini Fest (May 12), SpeedCentre later this month and a Fourth of July celebration.
- Crave Dessert Bar opened uptown (behind Cans) in late March and now that it has all the kinks worked out, it's celebrating with a grand opening party Friday starting at 6 p.m.
- D'Vine Wine Cafe opened last month in Ballantyne Village. Highlights include a full service cafe, private tasting room and retail wine shop.
- Luna Lounge (from the people who brought you Sunset Club and KISS Lounge) in the old Coyote Ugly spot on College Street. Opening TBA.
- Enso, an upscale Asian bistro and sushi bar, at the EpiCentre. Opening TBA.
- N.C. Music Factory is gearing up for a big spring/summer concert season with the opening of its boutique outdoor amphitheater and its Fillmore music venue.